Head of Integrated Photonics – ORCA US
We are seeking an exceptional Head of Integrated Photonics to lead our integrated photonics team in advancing ORCA Computing’s quantum computing systems. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in developing and implementing integrated photonics solutions that are integral to our full-stack photonic quantum computing systems.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead and manage the integrated photonics team based in Austin, TX, to drive innovation and progress in developing integrated photonics solutions for quantum computing systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including quantum scientists, engineers, and mathematicians, to integrate photonics solutions into full-stack photonic quantum computing systems.
- Develop and implement strategies to advance ORCA Computing’s quantum computing systems through integrated photonics, aligning with the company’s vision and objectives.
- Oversee the design, fabrication, and testing of integrated photonics components and systems, ensuring they meet performance, reliability, and quality standards.
- Drive research and development initiatives to enhance integrated photonics technologies and capabilities, staying at the forefront of advancements in the field.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative culture within the integrated photonics team and across the organization, promoting knowledge sharing and continuous learning.
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- Ph.D. in Photonics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Extensive experience in integrated photonics design, fabrication, and testing, with a focus on applications in quantum computing or related fields.
- Proven track record of leadership in managing multidisciplinary teams and driving innovation in integrated photonics or quantum technologies.
- Strong understanding of photonics devices and systems, including waveguides, modulators, detectors, and integrated photonics platforms.
- Experience with design tools and simulation software for integrated photonics, such as Lumerical, RSoft, or equivalent.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse teams and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical concepts into strategic plans and drive execution towards achieving business objectives.
- Passion for advancing quantum computing technologies and contributing to the mission of making quantum computing a practical reality.
About ORCA Computing
ORCA Computing develops full-stack photonic quantum computers with the aim of unlocking new fields of applications and helping transform industries. By combining proprietary technology with off-the-shelf telecom components, we provide a unique approach to address use cases such as machine learning and optimisation. With a number of government and enterprise customers around the world, we are actively deploying and applying our technologies to real world challenges. ORCA Computing is also the project lead in the multi-year Innovate UK Quantum Data Centre of the Future project which is bringing together experts in quantum technologies, cybersecurity, data centres and telecommunications to develop solutions for a quantum future.
ORCA Computing’s multidisciplinary team of quantum scientists, engineers and mathematicians are developing hardware and architectures to completely change the face of high-performance computing and networking, from near-term quantum devices and applications to universal, fault-tolerant quantum computers.
We are growing and providing the opportunity to work at the leading edge of quantum alongside world renowned experts, expanding your skillset and forging wonderful relationships along the way. Our teams enjoy a collaborative, friendly, and dynamic environment with the goal of bringing the best out of each other to achieve the very heights of what is possible.
We offer workplace flexibility with generous benefits, holiday allowance and equity. There are significant opportunities for learning, growth, and exciting new responsibilities. We also offer membership to our ORCA rock climbing team.
To apply, please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV/resume (including publication record) to: firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title in the subject heading.
ORCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.