Senior Software Engineer – ORCA UK
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a focus on hardware integrations to join our team. The ideal candidate will play a crucial role in developing and maintaining software solutions that interface seamlessly with ORCA Computing’s photonic quantum processor; from user-facing interfaces all the way down to hardware instructions. This is an exciting opportunity to work at the cutting edge of computing, alongside world-class scientists and engineers, in a dynamic and rapidly growing startup.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing the software stack for ORCA Computing’s photonic quantum processor, from user-facing interfaces all the way down to hardware instructions.
- Collaborating with the hardware team to integrate new elements of hardware into the software stack.
- Collaborating with third parties to help integrate our product into their software systems.
- Conducting thorough software testing and debugging in line with ORCA’s quality processes
- Keeping documentation up to date.
- Working within the software engineering function to develop and maintain development processes.
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- Willingness to work in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Able to work to product launch deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of python.
- Experience interfacing with various types of hardware (such as scientific instruments or components for robotics, electronics or photonics).
- Expert knowledge of software engineering tools (git, github actions, IDEs, etc.) and processes (testing, CI/CD, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Interest in quantum computing and/or machine learning
About ORCA Computing
ORCA Computing develops full-stack photonic quantum computers with the aim of unlocking new fields of applications and helping transform industries. By combining proprietary technology with off-the-shelf telecom components, we provide a unique approach to address use cases such as machine learning and optimisation. With a number of government and enterprise customers around the world, we are actively deploying and applying our technologies to real world challenges. ORCA Computing is also the project lead in the multi-year Innovate UK Quantum Data Centre of the Future project which is bringing together experts in quantum technologies, cybersecurity, data centres and telecommunications to develop solutions for a quantum future.
ORCA Computing’s multidisciplinary team of quantum scientists, engineers and mathematicians are developing hardware and architectures to completely change the face of high-performance computing and networking, from near-term quantum devices and applications to universal, fault-tolerant quantum computers.
We are growing and providing the opportunity to work at the leading edge of quantum alongside world renowned experts, expanding your skillset and forging wonderful relationships along the way. Our teams enjoy a collaborative, friendly, and dynamic environment with the goal of bringing the best out of each other to achieve the very heights of what is possible.
We offer workplace flexibility with generous benefits including a pension plan, holiday allowance and equity. There are significant opportunities for learning, growth, and exciting new responsibilities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV/resume (including publication record) to: firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title in the subject heading.
ORCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.