Mechanical Engineer – ORCA UK
We are currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to join our delivery team to contribute to the development and delivery of existing products, conceptualising new mechanical designs for the development of new products and supporting the wider teams in mechanical design and manufacture.
What you’ll be doing:
- Conceptualise, plan, and execute mechanical designs for new and existing products
- Test and troubleshoot prototypes and products
- Prepare and maintain detailed engineering documentation, including technical drawings, manufacturing and assembly instructions, and associated documentation processes.
- Liaise with current suppliers and investigate new suppliers
- Uphold ethics and values of the company
- Occasional travel for customer meetings
- Working on-site at ORCA offices, with scope for hybrid office/remote working
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- Experience with mechanical CAD, preferably Autodesk Inventor or similar (SolidWorks, CATIA, etc)
- Experience with machined, sheet metal, and 3D printed design and manufacture
- Design for manufacturing and assembly
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Experience of preparing detailed engineering documentation
- Experience implementing continuous improvement and planning for quality control
- Degree in mechanical engineering or similar technical subject
- 3+ years experience in a technical environment (electronics and/or optics preferred)
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the wider teams
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Your positivity and passion to thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Motivated, independent, good team worker and well organised
- Problem solving skills and analytical ability
- Ability to think creatively
- Experience of Microsoft office suite
- Experience of Microsoft SharePoint is desirable
- Experience with temperature control systems is desirable
To apply, please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV/resume (including publication record, if applicable) to: firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title in the subject heading.
ORCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
About ORCA Computing
ORCA Computing develops full-stack photonic quantum computers with the aim of unlocking new fields of applications and helping transform industries. By combining proprietary technology with off-the-shelf telecom components, we provide a unique approach to address use cases such as machine learning and optimisation. With a number of government and enterprise customers around the world, we are actively deploying and applying our technologies to real world challenges. ORCA Computing is also the project lead in the multi-year Innovate UK Quantum Data Centre of the Future project which is bringing together experts in quantum technologies, cybersecurity, data centres and telecommunications to develop solutions for a quantum future.
ORCA Computing’s multidisciplinary team of quantum scientists, engineers and mathematicians are developing hardware and architectures to completely change the face of high-performance computing and networking, from near-term quantum devices and applications to universal, fault-tolerant quantum computers.
We are growing and providing the opportunity to work at the leading edge of quantum alongside world renowned experts, expanding your skillset and forging wonderful relationships along the way. Our teams enjoy a collaborative, friendly, and dynamic environment with the goal of bringing the best out of each other to achieve the very heights of what is possible.
We offer workplace flexibility with generous benefits including a pension plan, holiday allowance and equity. There are significant opportunities for learning, growth, and exciting new responsibilities.